Thursday, May 15, 2008

Joy

Joy is an interesting concept, and comes from a deep appreciation for the gift of life, and being alive. Happiness, in my experience, is often attributable to external factors or circumstances.

So, how do we find and keep this joy, when the externals aren't to our liking, or perhaps downright nasty? Once I find the perfect answer, I'll let you know. Best I can tell, it comes from what we focus on. I've learned to begin each day with gratefulness. Not necessarily in general, but for specific things. The things that come to mind include being alive and pain free, being able to talk to my children, and knowing that they return my phone calls, for starters. Others might include the fact the Teresa is with me, although I'm very human, and subject to all the frailties that come with that package.

Let's see...the shower is hot, the car starts on the first turn of the key, there is food in the frig, and the list goes on. Are there problems? Of course! In fact, if there were no problems at work, I'd be out of a job.

At lunch I ate a fine meal, and visit with a buddy I enjoy seeing from time to time. Yep, I'm grateful, and life is good.

Until next time...

No comments: