Monday, August 4, 2008

Mass Transit

Today I had the opportunity to travel to downtown Atlanta. Since I had an appointment in Buckhead, I decided to ride the local train, MARTA. MARTA offered a stop in downtown Atlanta, just a block from my meeting place.

After that meeting, I headed back to Buckhead, where I was able to exit the train just two blocks from a lunch meeting, and about the same distance from a 2pm meeting. After wrapping up a day of meetings, I was able to take the train back to my car, which had been parked most of the day, in the shade.

The total cost of transportation and parking for moving around different parts of the city was about $6. While there may have been some additional minutes used that wouldn't have been used otherwise, I wasn't impaired from using my phone. In fact, the train time gave opportunity to catch up on work that seems to sleep in my briefcase.

Compared to gas at $4 a gallon, and parking at $2 per hour, it wasn't a bad deal, overall. Interesting experiment that we may try again.

Until next time...

Randy

No comments: