Saturday, February 7, 2009

Social Media Question

My standard line, which frankly has mold on it at this point, is that I graduated from high school with a slide rule. Being somewhat geeky, I thought I was a state of the art tech head.

As we wrap up the first decade of the new century, I find that most folks under the age of 35 have not only not seen a slide rule, many have never heard the phrase.

So what? Well, it seems I've spent the last 35 years running fast to keep up with technology, and it keeps running faster. 2009 is the year I've decided to learn the language and protocols of social media, as I believe it can be a most excellent tool and communication method.

This morning, I've been doing some reading and research, and have questions. How do I arrange my settings on my blog so I can show other blogs or websites that I like? How can I arrange the settings to allow others to show my blog, or forward its content to others? How does Google reader work? How do I arrange the settings so that when I send an email to my distribution list, and ask those folks to become fans and readers of the blog, they can actually do that?

Is there a tutorial for all this? Are there folks I can hire to help? Surely its not too complicated.

Thanks for your input.

Until next time...

Randy

1 comment:

Erik said...

Hey Randy,

I found your blog via Facebook. I am not sure if your questions have been answered, since this post is a little outdated, but I would love to talk with you more about your social media education and how it can benefit your company.

Most of your questions can be answered by doing more research about the RSS feed. An RSS feed is like your live information "wire" that other people can access and subscribe to in order to receive your blog posts without visiting your site. Google reader is essentially an "rss feed aggregator". So you can subscribe to all of your favorite blog's rss feeds, and read all of the newest posts on one platform, rather than visiting all of those individual sites.

If you want to talk more, please email me at erik.folgate@gmail.com or call at 352-871-0794. I am a professional social media consultant. You can also read about some of my thoughts on social media and small business at http://www.erikfolgate.com

Take care!